Developers and municipalities must continue to evaluate potential wildfire impacts on projects under CEQA and consider recent legislative changes.
Wildfires have posed increasing risks in recent years to the public and environment in California. The importance of understanding how wildfires may impact new development and infrastructure is more relevant than ever. Under the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), developers and agencies are prompted to evaluate wildfire impacts.
Latham & Watkins recently hosted an in-depth webcast to help clients understand new wildfire guidelines and the subsequent implications on development. Topics covered include:
- CEQA Guidelines and Appendix G questions
- How EIRs have applied wildfire guidelines
- Climate change, air quality, and power shutdowns in response to wildfire risk
- Recent court cases involving wildfires
- Recent wildfire legislation
Watch a recording of Wildfire Implications on California Development: CEQA, Legislation, and More, and contact Latham with any questions you might have about these issues.